(last updated 8/14/18)
What is Children in the Middle?
This educational program is designed to help parents work together to co-parent their children when there is a divorce, separation, or if the parents have never been married and are living apart. The program is coordinated by UW-Extension and taught by UW-Extension staff as well as trained facilitators from the community. Some people are required by the courts to take the course, while others participate by choice.
How will the Children in the Middle program help me and my family?
The Children in the Middle program teaches participants about possible effects of divorce and how parents can help themselves and their children work through this transition. Parents learn how to co-parent in ways that keep children out of the middle of the divorce. Parents also learn communication skills that can help make the divorce transition easier on everyone.
Here’s what some parents say about the course:
“I wish sessions were longer to discuss situations more.”
“The class was an eye opener. I realized that I was putting my kids in the middle.”
“I think this should be a mandatory class for both parents involved in a divorce.”
“The class was worth every penny — It helped me out.”
How does the Children in the Middle program work?
- Parents attend two (2) group sessions of two (2) hours each for a total of four (4) hours of class. The classes are on Wednesday evenings. You must attend both sessions within the same month.
- Parents will attend separate sessions (both parents cannot be in the same class) and must call individually to register for the course.
- In order to complete the course you must turn in your action plan and homework and attend all four (4) hours of the course.
- Upon completion of the course you will receive a certificate of completion and a copy of the certificate will be forwarded to the court.
- Parents will receive a newsletter, “Common Ties,” after they complete the program.
2018 Children in the Middle Schedule
|July 10 & 24||9:00 to 11:00 am|
|July 11 & 18||6:00 to 8:00 pm|
|August 14 & 21||9:00 to 11:00 am|
|August 8 & 15||6:00 to 8:00 pm|
|September 5 & 12||6:00 to 8:00 pm|
|October 9 & 16||9:00 to 11:00 am|
|October 10 & 17||6:00 to 8:00 pm|
|November 6 & 13||9:00 to 11:00 am|
|November 7 & 14||6:00 to 8:00 pm|
|December 4 & 11||9:00 to 11:00 am|
|December 5 & 12||6:00 to 8:00 pm|
If you have any questions, please contact:
LuAnn Olson, Administrative Assistant
112 East Edgewater St., Room 212
Portage, WI 53901
Phone: (608) 742-9688
711 for Wisconsin Relay